Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ribbons won at Narragansett Bay Quilters Show

Very excited to share the ribbons my quilts have won at the show which continues tomorrow at North Kingstown HS. 

"Raspberry Spin" won a 1st Place Ribbon for Exemplary Machine Quilting - Track Mounted. This is a quilt made from a block I designed that was featured in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks from Today's Top Designers. Quiltmaker then asked me to make a quilt of the block to which I added extra pieced borders and a focal point created by color gradation from the center. 

I always have fun designing the quilting for a quilt to further its mood or flavor. This quilt I saw as a bit funky so the quilting is more abstract than realistic in style.





Spiked Journey, a quilt I started in a workshop at the Mancuso Brothers show in Manchester, NH in 2012 with Barbara Barber (UK) where I learned her easily precise method of paper piecing severe and tiny spikes. Had fun collecting the fabrics for this in my favorite fabric type - batiks.

This quilt won two ribbons: 1st Place - Exemplary Piecing and 2nd Place - Exemplary Machine Quilting - Track Mounted.

I like to switch back and forth between geometric and curvilinear in quilting style for contrast and well as contrast in size of the quilting elements. Keeps the eyes moving around and within the quilt.


\


Lastly, just heard from good friend and quilting customer Joan Taylor that a quilt I quilted for her received today's Viewer's Choice ribbon. Here are some pix of Joan's beauty. Love the color work throughout, especially the gradations she used. Congratulations Joan!!!  





The show is open again tomorrow from 10-4 with an amazing small quilt auction at 2 pm. See you there!!!




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, the quilting on yours and Joan's is beautiful. I was able to come today and enjoy the show, so many beautiful quilts and techniques, lots of inspiration to get me started again.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete